A precipitation deficit combined with overexploitation of water resources can result in large scale water shortage and drought. Methods which employ strategic decision support in order balance water demand and water supply are being increasingly used throughout the world.
In Australia 2005 highlighted the effects of water shortage while at the same time worldwide problems related to water shortage are on the increase and political conflicts about water allocation are becoming more common. It is essential that adequate plans are in place to prepare for water shortages and evaluation of the chances of future droughts.
FutureWater has developed the FUTUREVIEW method to evaluate water shortage problems in agriculture, while for basin wide water shortage investigations FutureWater uses the SWAT (Soil and Water Assessment Tool) instrument.
- Farm information and advisory systems for deficit irrigation management (REDSIM)
- Drought Monitoring and Impact Assessment Toolbox (DMIAT) for Vietnam
- The Middle East and North Africa Regional Water Outlook
- Field scale adaptation strategies to climate change to sustain food security in the Volta basin: A modeling approach across seven contrasting basins
- Droogte en natschade onder wijzigende afvoernormen, Waterschap Hunze en Aa’s [in Dutch]