The Covid-19 pandemic is reminding us of the importance of water for human health and well-being. The Corona virus came late to Latin America, but the region is now feeling its devastating effects. In the water sector, the crisis is exposing the existing water challenges such as limited access to clean water, weak waste water treatment systems and poor water governance become. However, it is also building a momentum for action.
To dive into the most pressing water issues in the region, exchange good practices and innovative solutions, and discuss current and future regional opportunities, the Netherlands Water Partnership (NWP) and the Dutch Embassy in Panama will jointly host a series of webinars from July to September.
The embassies of the Kingdom of the Netherlands in Argentina, Chile, Colombia, the Dominican Republic, Mexico, Panama and Peru have identified several key water themes that need to be addressed in their respective countries. From this pool of topics, five subjects have been selected to for this series of webinars. These are:
- The circular economy and water treatment
- Water quality
- Food security and water
- Watershed management and resilience
- Water governance
These virtual sessions will be held in Spanish and tailored to Dutch water actors with interests and/or already operating in Latin America, and Latin American water experts and stakeholders interested in the knowledge and expertise of the Dutch water sector.
Each webinar will include four main elements: insights on the local context, good practices, networking opportunities and inspiring speakers.
- The circular economy and water treatment will kick-of the series on 1 July | Recording and audio available at the bottom of this page.
- Water quality on 22 July
- Food security and water on 12 August
- Watershed management and resilience on 26 August
- Water governance on 9 September
- Ciudad de Panamá, Lima, Bogotá, México DF: 9.00 – 10.30 hrs
- República Dominicana, Santiago: 10.00 – 11.30 hrs
- Buenos Aires: 11.00 – 12.30 hrs
- Amsterdam: 16:00 – 17:00 hrs
Location: online meeting. Instructions to be sent to registered participants.
Programme Food security and water on 12 August:
The speakers of the third webinar are:
- Roel Nieuwenkamp, Embassador of the Kingdom of the Netherlands in Argentina
- Lucas du Pré, of the Dutch Ministry of Agriculture, Nature and Food Quality
- Angel de Miguel Garcia, of Wageningen University and Research (WUR)
- Evelyn Aparicio Medrano, of Nelen & Schuurmans
- Alexander Kaune, of FutureWater
If you are interested in participating in these seminars, please fill in the form on the NWP website.
For additional questions, please contact NWP Project Officer Latin America, Noortje Pellens, at email@example.com.